• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 6, 2021

    Old School RuneScape: Have a question about the game or the subreddit? Ask away!

    Old School RuneScape: Have a question about the game or the subreddit? Ask away!


    Have a question about the game or the subreddit? Ask away!

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 05:00 PM PDT

    Welcome to the daily /r/2007scape question thread!

    You can ask anything about Old School RuneScape here. They are designated for you to ask anything you like that is relevant to the game or this subreddit. Remain respectful to your fellow 'scapers when answering questions; there are stupid questions, but it does not mean you should not be respectful whilst answering them.

    Keep in mind that this is not a developer Q&A thread - questions for the game developers should be posted in the weekly developer Q&A posts.

    Click here to view the archive of /r/2007scape "ask anything" threads.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Skills and their high-level unlocks

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 09:30 AM PDT

    [Suggestion] The Cooks' Guild could do with a refresh.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 02:06 AM PDT

    The Cooks' Guild is looking a little dated, especially for what is a new player's first guild experience. Here are some scattered thoughts on a Cooks' Guild refresh.

    • The guild spiritually belongs in hosidius but needs to be f2p. Add a Hosidian delegate that could sell exotic fruit/vegetables.
    • Add some colour. Tables with fruit/veges etc. Instead on apple/tomato item spawns, let players pick them from vines or something. They would respawn as normal.
    • Cooking contracts similar to the Hosidius mess. Like the existing NPC who accepts pies, but game-ified.
    • Earn an upgrade to the cooking gauntlets to include other meats.
    • Earn a special hat/apron that is experience-boosting or has a chance to double-cook.
    • A basement-level fermentation vat with the varrock diary (to avoid reducing the relevance of the existing vats that are less-accessible). The vat may make mature ales instead of regular ales. Make it look like a classy wine cellar. Wine barrels could be used like a tithe farm-style minigame.
    • Add a Gnome delegate who sells cocktail ingredients in the cellar.
    • Make the Cooks Guild dairy churn a faster version to give it some purpose.
    • A second point of access to the gnome restaurant minigame.
    • Dishwashing sink. Just lets you do a pointless animation that makes your character look sad.
    • The guild is known for having a range very close to a bank. Could split this up into several thematic ranges that offer lower burn rates for various foods (Eg Pizza ovens). Hate me later, but the skill could use some diversity.
    • Head chef would keep track of how many food items you've ever burned.
    • Dairy cow (Must be named Gladys, don't ask why)
    • Breadman mode. I don't know what this would mean but it sounds fun.
    • Something that rewards spices other than rats.
    • To give the guild some enduring relevance to mid-game players, each level could be stratified by cooking level (or some special cooking-related accomplishments, eg Recipe for Disaster)
    submitted by /u/Vegetable-Soup
    [link] [comments]

    Never forget ... back when we were 1 and not 2 games. ☹️

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 05:36 PM PDT

    [Follow-Up] The "Mafia" found out about yesterdays reddit post on griefing, now multiple clans are going at it.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 04:03 AM PDT

    Combat achievement speed tasks from Husky Twitter

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 07:28 AM PDT

    Any day now Zulrah...

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 02:03 AM PDT

    This man is playing an entirely different game

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 10:15 PM PDT

    All I can say is... goodluck

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 10:54 PM PDT

    “I have a max account and play all the time” “amazing, that must be fun” proceeds to bank stand for days

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 06:40 AM PDT

    Suggestion: move most valuable item to top of loot pile.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 08:30 PM PDT

    I got my friend into playing, yesterday he got membership.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 02:42 AM PDT

    Pet luck? I just got my 2nd and 3rd Heron within 3 minutes and had to share this... Don't even want to know the chance (Lv. 89 fishing at karambs)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 05:05 AM PDT

    I finally quit OSRS

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 08:53 AM PDT

    It has officially been one week since I have logged into OSRS, which is one week longer than I've ever went without playing the game.

    Back in high school in 2011, I started playing RuneScape because my best friend was very into the game and I thought I'd give it a shot. I was hooked until EoC came out and then I quit until about 2016 when the same friend suggested I try Old School. It was a huge nostalgia trip, and that reawakened my desire to progress in the game and try to catch up to my friend's account. He surprised me one night while I was killing spiders in the Stronghold of Security by giving me a whip, obby cape, and black mask, which seemed to me like he had given me a startup loan for a business.

    From there, I played until I had mid-70 combat stats and completed the Underground Pass, which was much further than I ever thought I would be in RuneScape. I was unemployed, had just dropped out of college, and my girlfriend had been admitted into an inpatient psychiatric program, so I was at a very low point in my life. Once my girlfriend got out of the hospital, I decided it was time to get my life together, so I finally got my drivers license (at 21 no less), got a job as a custodian, and moved in with said girlfriend within the course of a couple months. I didn't have the time, patience, or energy for OSRS, so I decided to log out for good and didn't think twice about it.

    In 2018, my life was gradually progressing in a positive direction: although I was still at my custodial job, I had gotten a couple raises and a promotion; my girlfriend and I were doing great together, and we were actually both enrolled in school again; last but not least, I had written the first draft of a very personally important novel, and I had just formed a new band with some dear friends of mine.

    However, pretty much everything in my life came to a standstill when OSRS Mobile was released. My friend was excited about it, and he and his wife wanted me to join them in the Motherlode mine. I was instantly hooked again, and the idea of playing OSRS on my phone while at work was a dream come true. Since I was a custodian and worked alone most of the time, I had a lot of downtime to get in my grinds, and eventually was even able to sneak my laptop into work so that I could do some more complex things like slayer and bossing. For the next two years, I grinded my ass off. Although I was still in school, still in my band, and still with my girlfriend, everything seemed to come second to OSRS.

    When my band played shows, I was Scaping while we waited to go on.

    When I was doing online school work and trying to do homework, I was Scaping.

    When I was at my job, I would sloppily rush to finish my work and start Scaping.

    When I was with girlfriend watching movies, in the car, and even laying in bed, I was Scaping.

    Anything that seemed like a good opportunity to "afk", I managed to squeeze in OSRS. I feared wasting XP because my best friend had instilled in me the goal of maxing my account, which I eventually did through many hours of "afk" activities at work, home, and everywhere in between. I didn't want to waste any more time than I needed to, so I tried to be as efficient as possible. "Afk" was my motto. The reason I put "afk" in quotations is because there was never actually "away from keyboard" activity; I was always paying attention to my game, even if it meant checking to see if I was still logged in 15 seconds after I had last clicked an action. My girlfriend noticed, my friends noticed, and even my coworkers noticed. I'm pretty sure my cats even noticed.

    During the Covid-19 pandemic, it seemed like Gielinor was the best place to be. A ton of friends that I hadn't spoken to since high school decided to either log back into old accounts or make new ones, and we had the time of our lives. We were bossing, raiding, and chatting all day and night. My girlfriend was alright with it, but I could tell she was upset by the amount of time I was spending on the game even though we were quarantined at home. Still, I kept telling her that all of my friends were Scaping, even the ones that had wives and kids. We were all Scaping together, so it felt as right as anything else at the time.

    As 2020 progressed, I saw the majority of those friends log out and never log in again, but I was still logging in every day. In October 2020, I finally maxed my account. I figured that I was about to be done with the game, so I got a new job as a delivery driver, which meant I wouldn't be able to play mobile at work anymore. However, I still decided to boss when I was at home. I was waking up every morning before work to grind Zulrah or Gauntlet or any number of bosses to try and complete an arbitrary goal that I had set up in my head (1. A mutagen from Zulrah, and 2. The Youngllef pet). I wasn't getting enough sleep because I was staying up as late as possible and waking up as early as possible.

    Eventually, I noticed my girlfriend was asking less and less of me. She wasn't upset that I was spending all my time gaming. She didn't ask me to massage her after she got home from work, which always annoyed me when I was trying to boss or do Wilderness clues. She didn't ask me to cuddle as often, and even though our sex life was almost nonexistent because she was spending almost every night out at a friend's house, I didn't take it as much of a loss because it meant that I could finish up my OSRS goals. I kept telling myself that if I just got a mutagen and Youngllef, I would log out for good, and I would patch things up with my girlfriend, get more involved with my band, and finish my novel.

    In May 2021, I finally got the Youngllef. I had been trying to stream my Gauntlet runs, but I noticed that when I streamed, I would lose enough FPS to where it was affecting my ability to clear the Gauntlet consistently, so I stopped streaming so that I could just get the pet and be done with it. It took me about 560KC with about 250 deaths (with each run being 10 mins long, you do the math), but I had finally gotten the pet. A couple days later, I received a Facebook message from my girlfriend's friend informing me that my girlfriend had been cheating on me with her coworker. This was the same guy that went with her on a day-long trip that I had refused to go on. I lied and told her that I needed to do school work, but I really just wanted to keep Scaping.

    I confronted her, learned that she was cheating on me, and we decided mutually that we should break up after 6 years together because our lives were just too different. She wanted to go outside, hang out with her friends, and not be cooped up at home, but I wanted to do the exact opposite. We had talked about marriage, having kids, and everything else under the sun. It probably would have been possible if I wasn't playing OSRS every day for almost three years straight.

    Rather than taking that as a sign that I should get my stuff together and quit Scaping, I kept grinding. I got my mutagen from Zulrah, but then decided it would be a good time to learn Theatre of Blood. Once again, I was dumping 6+ hours a day into OSRS. One day, though, I noticed I had two days left on my membership. I bought a bond, went to gear up for ToB, but just didn't feel like finding a raid. Even though I convinced myself that ToB was "fun" and not a grind, I was still grinding it. I had every piece of equipment I could ever want, aside from unreasonably expensive items that would take additional months to be able to afford, but I finally just asked myself, "What's the point?" I could kill almost everything in the game aside from the Inferno, but that was something I was unwilling to commit to learning.

    One thing I did fear, though, was that I would log out for a few months and then log back in to see my account had been hacked and I had lost my entire bank. Rationally, though, I knew that I was just trying to convince myself to keep playing by giving value to something that is almost entirely valueless to most people. Even if I did end up getting hacked, I would have my decision made for me--I would just quit anyway.

    I finally decided to just let my membership end, beyond every instinct and fear in my body, and I haven't logged in since.

    The lesson I've learned from playing OSRS is that it is a game that tricks you into thinking that you're being productive. You think that you are making progress towards a goal, but in reality, you are only playing a video game. Even activities that seem to be "afk" are actually deceptively detracting your attention away from everything else around you. Do not be fooled by this false sense of accomplishment. I will say, though, that I strengthened my relationship with the best friend that had gotten me into the game. Over all that time, I had managed to teach him how to produce electronic music, which he still does passionately to this day.

    Not that anybody would really care, but instead of playing OSRS, I have been playing bass, working on my drumming, and overall feeling much better about myself. My ex-girlfriend and I are probably never going to be together again, but I'm not upset about it because we simply grew apart, and it's irreparable.

    I highly suggest that anybody even considering quitting OSRS should at least spend a day or two away from the game and see how they feel, because it has already done wonders for me and has possibly saved my life.

    submitted by /u/Mahkelroy
    [link] [comments]

    After 15 years still the fanciest boots out there ������

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 06:08 AM PDT

    PSA - Be weary, fake membership phishing links are being promoted as ads on Reddit

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 04:47 AM PDT

    Jagex want to add slayer monster to wilderness cave. Instead of hiding more monster in dungeon, add them to surface.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 11:44 PM PDT

    Loving life

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 03:51 PM PDT

    I post stolen Runescape memes every day until Jagex removes the Duel Arena. Day 21

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 07:32 AM PDT

    Add actual well designed escapes to the wilderness!

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 05:53 PM PDT

    Since the wildy is finally getting some love with integrity changes and a big content drop later this year (Reworking wildy bosses from the sound of it.) its a perfect time to add some actual escapes to the wilderness!!

    (I apologize in advance for the formatting, im on mobile and dont know how.)

    Most of us all agree that players primary means of escape should not be an unintended mechanic like boxing a hobgoblin and closing your client, or freezing a player and walking under them to log out. This is objectively BAD game design and clearly was not intentional. These are being fixed in the integrity changes but do unfortunately leave a huge gap in ways to escape the wilderness!

    So, in addition to reworking wildy bosses, add some well designed, fun, escapes to the wilderness that reward players who are well rounded and took the time to prepare in advance!

    What should these escapes look like! Well, there should be multiple kinds! Agility escapes(agility short cuts, obviously.) Skill based(pushing a boulder, or picking a lock.) Item based (slashing a web, or paying an npc an item, or climbing with a rope!) or a combination of BOTH! ( mining a rock(skill+item.) burning a fallen tree (tinderbox+ Fire making.) I'll give more examples below!

    Ideally, these escapes would be fun, interesting ways to reward players who thought ahead, or took the time to skill! The wilderness is a vast area! It should be expected that an adventurer would, like all the quests they embark on, need to be well rounded in order to survive such a dangerous area! PvMers who take the time to skill or prepair for their quest ahead of time might be at a disadvantage combat wise, but could have an edge through actual escapes!! These escapes however should not be direct lines out of the wilderness, rather provide some gap between you and your attackers so you may make a safe get away(or log.)

    Here are some examples Agility short cuts(skill) Paying an NPC some obscure currency like tokkul or trading sticks(item) Lighting explosives to make a hole in a wall(item+skill) Slashing a web that only opens for you(item) Casting a spell like humidify to create a water barrier behind you(skill) Using construction to build a bridge that collapses after you(skill+item) Going through a cave requiring a lantern(item)

    The opportunities are literally endless! Just add actual interesting escapes to the wildy. The best part about watching DMM was seeing creative ways people escaped, this should be a core gameplay loop within the wilderness!! You could even add survival kits(swiss army knife style.) as a reward for wilderness content or things similar to this. Or other obscure items dropped from wildy content to make those with it have easier means to escape. Have fun with it jagex, and make them frequent enough that they'll actually become fun core parts of the wilderness and not just some random obscure shit like the axe hut.

    submitted by /u/Shea550
    [link] [comments]

    Farming PBs when Combat Achievements come out like

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 10:09 AM PDT

    Snitches get cookies

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 06:06 AM PDT

    Can someone explain why my Dihn's Bulwark is protected over my Avernic Defender?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 06:03 AM PDT

    Partners 22nd birthday cake, thoughts? (First time cake decorating ever btw)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 03:52 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment